JOY continuously improves the system and provides free firmware updates for the Octopus Watch that fixes bugs, adds new features and new icons.
When it happens, you see a red badge in the top right-hand corner of the Octopus Watch app on your smartphone.
Overview of a firmware update
To update your Octopus Watch, connect it to a power source, then in the Octopus app on your smartphone, tap on the right-hand menu > Firmware update.
Follow the instructions. Please make sure:
- to keep your smartphone next to the watch during all the process (about 10 minutes),
- to keep the watch plugged to a power source
Please consider having a look at this video to see how the process works and following the instructions below:
- prerequisites: you need the Octopus watch, the mobile used to pair the watch and the charger cable or companion ... and approximately 10min of your time. Make sure that your mobile phone has Internet connectivity and that you have updated your mobile app to the latest version.
- disconnect the watch from the charger cable
- start the Octopus mobile application: if it was already started, please kill and restart the app
- select the target watch on the left menu pane: click on the top-left flower icon and then select the target watch
- check if there is a firmware update on the right menu pane: click on the top-right kid icon, a (1) badge should appear on the menu entitled "Firmware update"
- if so, click the "Firmware update" menu and confirm by clicking on "Update" the dialog saying "do you want to update your device to the latest version (216)? You currently have 126".
- connect your watch to the charger cable
- the mobile app will connect to the watch and start the update process. The whole process will take approximately 10min:
- possibly a few icons will be updated first
- then the firmware itself will be updated and will then trigger a watch reset
- a final synchronization will be automatically started. [ATTENTION] please make sure that the octopus mobile app is active when this step happens, i.e. when the previous step is around 90+%, make sure to wake up your mobile by touching the mobile phone and/or unlocking if necessary.
- et voilà!
- please repeat this operation for every watch you have.
- make sure to upgrade your mobile app before proceeding.
- these steps are to be repeated for every Octopus watch.
- the actual firmware version of the watch is shown at reboot just above the Octopus Icon (e.g. "Octopus #126" or "Octopus #220") ... or, in the newer firmware, you may long-press the button to show the ICE and then single-click twice to show a screen called "Info": the line called "FW" will tell you which version it is running.
- it may happen that the watch actually is upgraded but the mobile app will indicate a failure: that is because the mobile app has not been able to do the final synchronization step. In this case please re-synchronize the watch using the regular process ... and ignore the app telling you that a new firmware is available.
- if for any reason, the watch gets stuck in synchronization, please consider rebooting the watch by pressing the button for 15+ seconds.
- if for any reason, the watch shows any errors after successfully updating the firmware please proceed with a factory reset (press the button for 15+ seconds) and re-synchronize the watch.
|Version||Notable Changes||Known Issues and Workarounds|
(0) Any other version not displayed in this table is unsupported and users should upgrade to the latest firmware as soon as possible.
(1) firmware versions that are marked as beta are release candidates (RC) distributed only to a restricted number of users until the version is stable.
(2) requires a version of the mobile app that is not yet available at the time of the firmware release.